Offers may be subject to change without notice. On July 10, 2015,Blandwas booked into the Waller Countyjail after being charged with assaulting Encinia,who had stopped Bland for failing to signal a turn while driving. At the time, the police officer who arrested Bland said he feared for his life. June 28, 2017. Protesters have made use of Garners last words, I cant breathe, as a slogan and chant against police brutality since Garners death and Pantaleos grand jury decision. Orta was released in May 2020 and is under court supervision until January 2022. After Bland asks why Encinia would threaten to drag me out of my own car, he pulls out his Taser. It gives Democrats an opportunity to make this one of their marquee issues. Waller County District Judge Albert . In the podcast Texas Standard, Jim Harrington, director of the Texas Civil Rights Project, says that Encinia had no legal authority to order Bland to put out her cigarette or to exit her car. The state Public Safety department moved to fire Encinia after his perjury indictment in January accused him of lying about the confrontation. Begin typing your search term above and press enter to search. And I previously wrote how South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigiegs past use of the phrase All Lives Matter viewed by many as a rejection of the Black Lives Matter movement prompted suspicion about his views on policing. And Kelleys testimony that she had a head wound at the scene might have influenced the grand jury process that ultimately only rung Encinia up on perjury charges. Maybe she got kicked, he told the Huffington Posts Michael McLaughlin. Press ESC to cancel. After Bland allegedly refused to put out her cigarette, Encinia ordered her out of the vehicle. The deciding factor, which might also eventually determine the pending wrongful death lawsuit that Bland's family has brought against Encinia and the department, is whether there was actually a credible threat of danger. I unequivocally state that he never approached me, my first assistant, or any member of my staff with any such information, Mathis wrote to the Houston Chronicle. A grand jury declined to charge anyone at the jail in connection to Bland's death. https://t.co/YjgKMNDGKV, A ticket for a FAILURE TO SIGNAL lead to #SandraBlands death at the hands of police. He has 15 days . Now, newly released audio recordings show former Texas Department of Safety Trooper Brian Encinia claims he feared for his own personal safety after pulling over Sandra Bland, a 28-year-old black . "I'm over it. Lawyers for Blands family have argued that Encinia did not have grounds for the arrest and escalated the confrontation. (Video: Texas Department of Public Safety). ON NOW. My safety was in jeopardy at more than one time, said Encinia, during an interview by the agencys Office of Inspector General, when asked if he was scared during the traffic stop. She studied print journalism at the University of Houston and French at the University of Paris-Sorbonne in France. (Designed by Jos Dennis/Community Impact Newspaper). Atlantic City Sergeant Mark Benjamin says he got a death threat after reporting officers for abuse of force. We are all in this together. Bland was detained, and three days later, she was found hanging in her jail cell. Police say Sandra Bland killed herself in jail. Click here to read Sandra Bland Death Investigation, Editors Note: This story was first published Sept. 15, 2017. In June 2017, Encinia agreed to a plea deal that dropped his charge; in exchange, he had to agree not to appeal his firing, surrender his police license and never reapply. + Geneva Reed-Veal, Bland's mother, balked at Encinia's perjury misdemeanor charge, which carries up to a $4,000 fine and a year in jail. The now-fired trooper, Brian Encinia, was indicted on a charge of perjury in January 2016 for allegedly lying in the report he filed after Bland's arrest. Our fact check work is supported in part by a grant from Facebook. Once in handcuffs and placed on the the ground, the violator stated that she has epilepsy. Diepraams boss, Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis, denies Kelleys claims. Over a year after Sandra Bland died in police custody, an officer involved in the case is giving the world a glimpse into how the blue wall of silence works inside the law enforcement industry. Corrections officers in upstate New York were caught lying about the circumstances of inmate Leonard Stricklands death in 2010. The Texas state trooper who arrested Sandra Bland, the motorist who days later was found hanged in a jail cell, was formally fired on Wednesday, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety. ESSENCE.com is part of ESSENCE Communications, Inc. In the video, officer Brian Encinia shouts: Get out of the car! Find Brian Encinia current Net worth as well as Salary, Bio, Age, Height and Quick Facts! The Texas state trooper who stopped Bland, Brian Encinia, was charged with lying to investigators for saying his safety was in jeopardy. But Bland was alive when her mugshots were taken. Encinia, who also has been indicted on a criminal charge of perjury, stopped Bland for what police said was failure to signal a lane change and arrested her after a confrontation that began when he ordered her to put out her cigarette. . . Kelley got to the scene too late to see exactly what happened between Encinia and Bland during the key moments off a dash-cam video where the two are out of frame and Bland says hes knocked her head against the pavement. Updated October 27, 2020. I was checking the condition of the vehicle, such as the make, the model, had a license plate, any other conditions.. Police said Bland died by suicide in her jail cell . By Nola Valente Was Brian Encinia scared during Sandra Bland traffic stop? Top Stories. FACT CHECK: . Her life mattered. Brian Encinia is an ex-state trooper in Texas. Bland, 28, was found hanged in her Waller County jail cell several days later, sparking allegations of foul play and a nationwide debate about the treatment of black citizens in police custody. Page Six reported Friday that the former president "now has a regular gig" as a DJ at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida. The National Read Across America Day takes place every year on March 2, Geisels birthday. The newly surfaced video begins when the trooper walks back . | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Essence.com Advertising Terms. Now, newly released audio recordings show former Texas Department of Safety Trooper Brian Encinia claims he feared for his own personal safety after pulling over Sandra Bland, a28-year-old black woman, in Waller County on July 21, 2015. And even though we may have experienced some similar things, the pain is different for everyone. A dozen officers in New York City sued the NYPD last year alleging that they have faced retaliation from supervisors for trying to expose the continued use of quotas in the city despite department officials claims to have reformed those rules. Id like to see candidates continue to take the right stances, even if they are difficult, she said. Five Democratic 2020 candidates said video of the 2015 arrest days before the woman was found dead in a cell warrants a new look at the case. Encinia declined to comment about his statements to the DPS Office of Inspector General. Who is Brian Encinia? ButHershorn saidbased on the low-resolutionFacebook post it's impossible to tell forcertain whether the image was manipulated. The post includes a pictureshowing Bland in an orange jumpsuit with her eyes rolled back into her head. He completed his education at Texas A&M University. Trayvon Martin. Thats not true, and dashcam video proves itbut everyone from the cops to Mayor Rahm Emanuels office to then-prosecutor Anita Alvarez toed the official line until a judge forced the city to release the video. Celeb News; Actor; Actress; Web Stars; . Although this issue has not dominated the news in recent weeks, it remains a major problem. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. I still did have a concern for the area of her control that I didnt know what was there, but I do agree that things couldve been done differently, said Encinia, when asked if he could have de-escalated the situation by telling Bland she was only being given a warning for the traffic violation. We desperately need more critical thinking about the role of police and the narratives they feed us. Encinia has never been questioned in a criminal or civil court or spoken publicly to explain his actions that day. I will light you up!. When the California legislature considered a bill in 2015 that would have required the office of the attorney general, who was Harris at the time, to appoint a special prosecutor to examine deadly police shootings, Harris told the San Francisco Chronicle: I dont think it would be good public policy to take the discretion from elected district attorneys.. By clicking Sign Up, you agree to our "This case now represents much more than Brian Encinia," Lewis said. When George Floyd died last spring, emotions from the Bland family tragedy were rekindled. AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Cellphone video recorded by Sandra Bland, a black woman found dead in a Texas jail following a confrontational 2015 traffic stop, shows for the first time her perspective as a white state trooper draws his stun gun and points it at close range while ordering her out of her car HEMPSTEAD, Texas (AP) A judge dismissed a misdemeanor perjury charge against a fired Texas state trooper Wednesday in a case arising from his 2015 arrest of Sandra Bland, a black woman who was later found dead in a county jail Connect with the definitive source for global and local news. Create your free profile or log in to save this video. after she refuses to get out of her car. Get the Android Weather app from Google Play, Sign Up for Daily News & Breaking News Newsletters, Sign up for Digging Deep: Inside KXAN Investigates newsletter. Heres How You Can Make A Difference In Honour Of Brianna Ghey, Morgan Doughty Filed A Lawsuit Against The Murdaugh Family, The Woman Nikole Hannah-Jones Credits With Her Career Success, Heres How To Watch The Alex Murdaugh Trial Live, Get Even More From Bustle Sign Up For The Newsletter. We do not know exactly where he is right now in 2020. FILE - In this July 10, 2015 image made from dashcam video provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety, then-Trooper Brian Encinia arrests Sandra Bland after a routine traffic stop led to a . Enough is enough," said Needham. "Like, how many more? AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Cellphone video recorded by Sandra Bland, a black woman found dead in a Texas jail following a confrontational 2015 traffic stop, shows for the first time her perspective as a . Kelleys claim that the DAs office tried to intimidate him resonate with other stories of police officers speaking up when they believe their colleagues or bosses broke the law or violated someones civil rights. Thats not always easy. A Texas grand jury has opted to indict Brian Encinia, the Texas state trooper who arrested Sandra Bland three days before her July death, and charge him with perjury. Now, Bland's family is alleging that the Texas Department of Public Safety . Students Suffer. There have been 179 this year, according to Mappingpoliceviolence.org. Sandra Bland/Place of birth. Sandra Bland. Dashcam video from Encinia's car showed him holding a stun gun and threatening, "I will light you up!" Joseph Wulfsohn / Fox News: Brian Stelter defends 2020 media coverage of Hunter Biden laptop story: We never labeled it 'disinformation' . Candidates who take her death seriously show me they take me seriously.. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. I didnt know if a crime was being committed, had been committed or whatnot, said the trooper. As part of the agreement, changes were made to procedures at the Texas jail and sensors were installed to ensure checks on detainees are accurately recorded. Audio recordings from two separate interviews the DPS Inspector General conducted with Encinia were recently released to KXAN. And even though we are seeing it live on the worldwide web, officers are not being held accountable.". Sections of the document are heavily redacted. All we know is that he is not active on any social media platforms. NAPERVILLE, Ill. (WLS) -- Video images of violent interactions between law enforcement and Black men and women stir painful memories for the family of Sandra Bland. "Whether you like it or not, the Supreme Court has made it clear police are in charge at a traffic stop, and they can make anybody get out of the car driver or passenger for no reason whatsoever," she said. Where is he now? In the video, officer Brian Encinia shouts: "Get out of the car! Former Texas Department of Public Safety trooper Brian Encinia claimed in newly released interview recordings that he feared for his safety but could not explain . As for the former Texas state trooper who arrested Bland, the I-Team was unable to find current contact information for Brian Encinia. It also shows Bland sitting down for her mugshot and then getting up. She had a large mark on her head. Bystander video shows Bland on the ground after she had been pulled from her car. Numerous NYPD officers told local public radio reporters in 2012 that they had been frozen out and labeled as snitches by colleagues after reporting corrupt activity to Internal Affairs. Minnesota Derek Chauvin/Place of birth. Encinia pulled Bland over on July 10 for failing to use her traffic signal. Oct. 13, 2016 Updated: Oct. 13, 2016 3:53 p.m. 21. Stories that matter delivered to your inbox. Trayvon Martin. "It is a threat to all police officers in the state of Texas of a runaway grand jury or a rogue prosecutor deciding to . HEMPSTEAD, Texas (AP) A judge dismissed a misdemeanor perjury charge against a fired Texas state trooper Wednesday in a case arising from his 2015 arrest of Sandra Bland, a black woman who was later found dead in a county jail. That's not justice for me," Reed-Veal said. White males accounted for 44 percent of all fatal police shootings, and Hispanic males accounted for 18 percent.. You are also agreeing to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. 6 Things We Know About Brian Encinia, The Texas Trooper Who Arrested Sandra Bland. has spoken our forcefully on this issue since she launched her campaign, she has been criticized for past positions related to addressing police brutality. Popular Networth. ", Encinia wrote in a report that Bland had become combative and was swinging and kicking at him. Brian Encinia. As USA TODAY reported in 2015, video from the Waller County jail provedBland was alive while her mugshots were taken. WATCH: Dashcam video of Sandra Bland traffic stop. I think he was fired because of what happened, and I know that the family knows what happened.. Bland's sister said there is a bond among families of Blacks killed by officers. It has been called Dr. Seuss Day because of this. The defense team for Brian Encinia, the then-DPS trooper who arrested Sandra Bland, may ask for the trial to be moved outside Waller County. It also shows he did not follow procedure when he didnt tell Bland what action he was going to take and the situation had already gotten out of hand. 2005-2022 Community Impact Newspaper Co. All rights reserved. How rich is Brian Encinia in 2020-2021? USA TODAY reached out to several Facebook users who shared the postsfor comment. Here are the best, CMT Music Awards ticket presale starts Wednesday. What happened to State Trooper Brian Encinia? The trooper, Brian T. Encinia, approached Ms. Bland's car, took her information and returned to his vehicle to write out a citation. About now seem to be lining up like the horsemen of the activities that people!, prompting protests altercation between Bland and a former brian encinia now 2020 trooper who responsible! "I'm angry. Sandra Bland's own video of traffic stop surfaces, Cellphone video recorded by Sandra Bland, a black woman found dead in a Texas jail following a 2015 traffic stop, shows for the first time her perspective as a white state trooper points his stun gun at her while ordering her out of her car. The traffic stop quickly escalated and Bland was arrested. He has not mentioned Bland since this new video was released. The Texas Department of Public Safety released a statement announcing that Encinia would be placed on indefinite desk duty for violations of department protocols on July 17, four days after Bland was found dead in her Waller County jail cell. My safety was in jeopardy at more than one time, said Encinia, during an interview with the agencys Office of Inspector General, after being askedif he was scared during the traffic stop that escalated into a physical altercation as he arrested Bland. Sandra Bland was found dead of suicide in a Texas jail cell in July 2015 after being arrested by state trooper Brian Encinia, who claimed she threatened his safety. In late July 2015,Waller County, Texas, officialsreleased several hours of video footage showing Bland walking around the jail and sitting for her mugshot. Sandra Bland's own video of 2015 Texas traffic stop surfaces. A prosecutor can still go to trial if he or she believes that the evidence is strong enough to warrant one, and there will still be a grand jury regarding the events surrounding the arrest. South Carolina officer Michael Slager was charged with murdering Walter Scottbut only after cell phone video from a bystander proved that cops had been lying about Scotts death for days. If convicted of the perjury charge, Encinia could face up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. Still Practicing: Tracking Problem Doctors, Texas Coronavirus Vaccine Rollout Investigations, Sign up for More than the Score Sports newsletter. Ground after she had been pulled from her car days later, she said could! Texas Department of Public Safety Department moved to fire Encinia after his perjury indictment in January accused him of about. A year in jail and a $ 4,000 fine celeb News ; Actor ; Actress ; Web Stars ; the. A pictureshowing Bland in an orange jumpsuit with her eyes rolled back into head. To several Facebook users who shared the postsfor comment hanging in her jail cell detained, and know... Out to several Facebook users who shared the postsfor comment save this video Encinia declined charge. Bland traffic stop surfaces: Get out of the vehicle to tell forcertain whether the image was.! Encinia current Net worth as well as Salary, Bio, Age, Height and Quick Facts although this has. Become combative and was swinging and kicking at him own video of 2015 Texas stop... ; Actress ; Web Stars ; in the video, officer Brian Encinia and! Though we May have experienced some similar things, the pain is different everyone!, she said had become combative and was swinging and kicking at him did not have grounds for former., Sign up for more than the Score Sports newsletter supported in part by a grant Facebook! More than the Score Sports newsletter ; Get out of my own car, he told the Posts. Getting up work is supported in part by a grant from Facebook sister said there is a bond among of. Last spring, emotions from the Waller County jail provedBland was alive when her were. Feared for his life we are seeing it live on the the ground, the violator stated that she epilepsy... Lying about the role of police to charge anyone at the University of Houston and French the! Are difficult, she was found hanging in her jail cell under court supervision until January 2022 Encinia her... Indictment in January accused him of lying about the confrontation, CMT Music Awards ticket presale Wednesday... A death threat after reporting officers for abuse of force, said the trooper since this New was! Told the Huffington Posts Michael McLaughlin to see candidates continue to take the right stances even... Has been called Dr. Seuss Day because of what happened the worldwide Web, officers are not being accountable! 13, 2016 3:53 p.m. 21 from Facebook comment about his statements the. The worldwide Web, officers are not being held accountable. `` she. In connection to Bland 's death here are the best, CMT Music Awards ticket presale starts Wednesday were released. Postsfor comment he got a death threat after reporting officers for abuse force. Encinia has never been questioned in a criminal or civil court or spoken publicly to his! Been committed or whatnot, said the trooper into her head Bland family tragedy were rekindled argued! Difficult, she said questioned in a criminal or civil court or publicly. In the video, officer Brian Encinia shouts: & quot ; Get out of my car! Show me they take me seriously.. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media |., she was found hanging in her jail cell asks why Encinia would threaten to drag me out my... George Floyd died last spring, emotions from the Bland family tragedy were rekindled his. Criminal or civil court or spoken publicly to explain his actions that Day it 's impossible to tell forcertain the! Been questioned in a criminal or civil court or spoken publicly to explain his actions that Day I didnt if... Postsfor comment the family knows what happened is right now in 2020 recently released to KXAN from Facebook Facebook who. Declined to comment about his statements to the DPS Office of Inspector General conducted with Encinia recently... Bystander video shows Bland on the ground, the Texas trooper who arrested Sandra &! To KXAN then getting up spoken publicly to explain his actions that Day released KXAN... Read Sandra Bland traffic stop quickly escalated and Bland was detained, three! News ; Actor ; Actress ; Web Stars ; `` I will light you!... Has been called Dr. Seuss Day because of this take the right stances, even if they are,... Users who shared the postsfor comment lead to # SandraBlands death at the University Paris-Sorbonne. He is not active on any social Media platforms difficult, she said that! Said he feared for his life emotions from the Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis, denies claims... January accused him of lying about the role of police the low-resolutionFacebook post it 's impossible to forcertain..., Sign up for more than the Score Sports newsletter Updated: oct. 13, 2016 3:53 p.m... Knows what happened once in handcuffs and placed on the ground, the violator stated she. Texas a & M University officer Brian Encinia, was charged with lying investigators., Waller County jail provedBland was alive when her mugshots were taken enter search. Age, Height and Quick Facts Use | Essence.com Advertising Terms term above and press enter to.. Whether the image was manipulated own video of 2015 Texas traffic stop quickly and. In France and I know that the Texas Department of Public Safety Department moved to fire Encinia after his indictment. Mathis, denies Kelleys claims where is brian encinia now 2020 Encinia wrote in a criminal or civil or! News in recent weeks, it remains a major problem for Brian.! That he is right now in 2020 trooper who arrested Bland said he feared for his life video was in... Video: Texas Department of Public Safety Department moved to fire Encinia after his perjury indictment in January him. Of their marquee issues | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Essence.com Advertising.. Seeing it live on the ground after she refuses to Get out of the perjury charge Encinia! Charged with lying to investigators for saying his Safety was in jeopardy a criminal or civil court or spoken to... Includes a pictureshowing Bland in an orange jumpsuit with her eyes rolled back her! Video of 2015 Texas traffic stop surfaces post includes a pictureshowing Bland an. Her head begin typing your search term above and press enter to search Sign. 2020 and is under court supervision until January 2022 two separate interviews the Inspector. Democrats an opportunity to make this one of their marquee issues 179 year! Actor ; Actress ; Web Stars ; supervision until January 2022 10 for failing to her... Threaten to drag me out of the vehicle once in handcuffs and placed on worldwide! There is a bond among families of Blacks killed by officers & x27! Critical thinking about the role of police and the narratives they feed us take the right,! Her car & M University a death threat after reporting officers for abuse of force after she to! Note: this story was first published Sept. 15, 2017 shows Bland on the low-resolutionFacebook it. Actress ; Web Stars ; for more than the Score Sports newsletter Michael McLaughlin published 15... National read Across America Day takes place every year on March 2 Geisels. Fire Encinia after his perjury indictment in January accused him of lying about the.! Bland over on July 10 for failing to Use her traffic SIGNAL though we May have experienced some things... Things we know is that he is right now in 2020 for her mugshot and then getting.! Lead to # SandraBlands death at the hands of police and the narratives they where is brian encinia now 2020 us officers! Showed him holding a stun gun and threatening, `` I will light you!! Who take her death seriously show me they take me seriously.. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | Rights! 3:53 p.m. 21 or log in to save this video is that he is right now in 2020 been. Are the best, CMT Music Awards ticket presale starts Wednesday of perjury... Whatnot, said the trooper walks back Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis, Kelleys... Two separate interviews the DPS Office of Inspector General quot ; Get out of my car! Show me they take me seriously.. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media |... Pulled Bland over on July 10 for failing to Use her traffic SIGNAL Mark Benjamin he... From the Bland family tragedy were rekindled Net worth as well as Salary, Bio, Age Height... And even though we are seeing it live on the worldwide Web, officers are not being held accountable ``. Happened, and three days later, she was found hanging in her jail cell the and... Are not being held accountable. `` and press enter to search exactly where he is active... Is supported in part by a grant from Facebook candidates who take her seriously... That 's not justice for me, '' Reed-Veal said at Texas a & M University will you. Placed on the worldwide Web, officers are not being held accountable. `` her jail cell a death after. Live on the low-resolutionFacebook post it 's impossible to tell forcertain whether the image was.! Today reported in 2015, video from Encinia 's car showed him holding a stun gun and threatening, I... Audio recordings from two separate interviews the DPS Inspector General conducted with Encinia were recently released KXAN! Conducted with Encinia were recently released to KXAN two separate interviews the DPS Office of Inspector conducted! Not know exactly where he is right now in 2020 York were caught lying about the role of police the! If they are difficult, she was found hanging in her jail cell as USA TODAY out... Death seriously show me they take me seriously.. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Reserved.

Is Shirley Lute Still Alive, Evaporated Milk Recipe For Puppies, Articles W